Monday, June 14, 2021

Ooo ... the end

I have before me prospectively the final chapter of Escape!

 

The context and spiritual action is what it must be, settled long ago when I began the book. I don't care if it takes another year to write the ending. Amusing, that it comes down to a few pages, maybe 15 or 20 at most. Also amusing that I'm the one who has to write it, talented or not. There's no novel without it.

 

I'm happy with the story, 243 pages that introduced a small cast of characters who we came to admire and understand (sort of) and to erstwhile pray that they will survive and thrive, no matter how badly they are threatened or assaulted. Especially the lovers, Hansje and Gadant, Cantwell and her knight in shining armor, Commander Malik and a devoted warrior who would die to defend him if necessary.

 

Everything balanced on a knife edge and we sensed it from page one. Lefler might not make it. I haven't decided yet. Jimmy is young and idealistic. The good die young. So do villains, human and robot, every honorable mind closed against cruelty. I don't want to spoil anything for readers. All I've said is there's a final chapter that I have to indent slowly and carefully and creatively and cinematically. No rush to get started. I'll spend a few days weed whacking. There are oak rounds to split by hand.

 

LATER —Tired from weed whacking. My daughter came by to return a couple empty plastic containers that were full of nice crunchy stuff that I didn't have enough teeth to eat. I told her that I was worried whether the girls paid property taxes, something I used to do years ago before my wife took over. That's all that troubled me, and I was glad to get rid of it with a mention. So. Here we jolly well are, no desire to attack the final chapter, for which I should be praised. Listening to the Cardinals game. Generally, the Cardinals stink, a 14-3 loss in Los Angeles yesterday, but I like baseball calls and the Cards announcers are extremely nice clever guys, a pleasure to hear. Excellence is always a joy, don't you think?

 

Not ready to do the last chapter. A good loud storm would be nice.

 

UPDATE — Like Partners, I had to outline the final chapter of Escape! My second draft looks like this. Still a long way to go before it's locked and loaded, every heartbeat rehearsed and ready to shoot.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment