Sunday, July 4, 2021

Seven cents a page

One 50th of a cent per word. Is that expensive? I get a 10% royalty. If I sell four books, I could buy a Big Mac and fries. How that justifies decades of preparation and months of writing a space romance, I don't know. Let's think big. If I sell a couple hundred books, I could buy a banged up used car to get to and from McDonald's. Special promotional offer! If you buy a copy and review it, I'll refund your purchase price plus shipping and tax, go backwards $25. Allow three months for payment, limit one refund per review, minimum five star review. That's about as insane as it gets, although I used to pay twice as much for reviews when I had money to throw around. I stopped sending free review copies to literary agents and academics. Too expensive. Kirkus and Publisher's Weekly fees were self-inflicted wounds that cost thousands. They pocketed the proceeds and declined to review my submission. So. Here we jolly well are, 'Escape!' self published at Lulu with an adult content warning, might appear on Amazon unless I get canceled again. It stunned me that Google sent 'Partners' to its Mexican site, Amazon.mx, banned from English language servers, until friends in London and Chicago rescued it with five star reviews.

 


https://www.lulu.com/en/us/shop/wolf-devoon/escape/paperback/product-974wyy.html

 

.

No comments:

Post a Comment