Thursday, September 16, 2021

Accepting the fact


As far as I can tell, I have been exiled to Amazon.mx

 

Everything. Generally well presented with nice stuff up top, but everything in my body of work sold by Amazon is nuevo y mui grapo en Espanol todos. The ratings and reviews were included, the reviews in English, many five stars and a couple of raspberries. My work has always generated ire among a certain class of educated persons. In the old days when the internet was young and we searched Alta Vista, my writing was well received in Sweden and Finland. A paywall ebook on heterosexual success (don't ask) factored in my recruitment to Laissez Faire City, whereupon I became a minor sensation and generated a lot of ire. So it's not a new thing. Quite remarkable that so many people seemed to tolerate my unique sense of reality and found merit in my work, both fiction and nonfiction. Their encouragement kept me going several decades, especially during the last few years when I was reaching for fine literature.

 

That's silly, of course. I write outrageous adventures, not fine literature that would satisfy a BBC World Service Book Club editor. Sometimes I listen to what passes for fine literature in the eyes and ears of women delighted by a female author's description of something dull, to be applauded as gifted writing. I'm not female or dull, so I'm not gifted.

 

Be that as it may, it's disconcerting that my latest and easily best novel to date (Escape!) is not available on the main Amazon U.S. portal, center stage in the home of the brave. I'm an American novelist and a U.S. "libertarian icon" as a radio host in Fairbanks exclaimed, because he was surprised and pleased that I was still alive, several years ago. I had just completed my first story in The Case Files series, A Portrait of Valor, introducing Chris and Peachy. Reviewers said nice things about my writing ability as the series unfolded. When I finished the last book in the series, Finding Flopsie, something much different would emerge next. Partners was my first effort at writing in dramatic triangles, which succeeded nicely IMO. After Chiseltown and some satirical novelettes, suddenly the 88K literary triumph of Escape! Well, not exactly sudden, five or six months to conceive and write.

 

I'm canceled in a most peculiar way, exiled to Mexico. Not banned. (Too highly ranked as an author?) Decades of thought. Thousands of mentions across the web, including Quotes.com. It would be noticed if Google went nuclear on me. Friends might make 1st Amendment trouble on my behalf. Personally, I don't care, nor do I expect justice from Google, Kindle, Goodreads, or Wikipedia.

 

Hey, Amazon! — do I get paid in pesos now?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment